Friday, February 8, 2008

Preparation for 12 hour

On Saturday 2nd Feb I went out at about 11:30 am with 8Kg weight on my back and did about 17 Km in 2hours 20 mins - very slow, very hot, very humid - 29decC and 80%+RH.

Lost 3.8 litres of sweat and drank 2.3 litres - I ned to drink some more.

Greg the nutirtionist asked me to try various foods whilst out so I had a vegemite sandwich closely followed by jelly beans and sports drink - went OK - I must have a cast iron stomach.

Very tired after this effort, struggled to keep going on the half hour dog walking duty in the late afternoon.



Sunday Rest day although I did strength work at home in our garage/gym. About 45 minutes of a range of exercises designed to strengthen calves, quads and hammies and upper body stuff (to try to make carrying a 10Kg weight in a backpack less stressful).



Monday Rest day.



Tuesday went to PCRG 3Km time trial, PCRG meets at the Ship Inn in Southbank and for the 3Km TT we warm up by jogging to West End and warm down on the way back to the Ship Inn.

We had just started the warm up when it started to rain and as we went further the rain got heavier, by the time we started doing strides and got ready to run it was absolutely chucking ot down. Over 100 of us did the TT in the pouring rain with rivers of rainwater flowing across the paths and roads. I love running in the rain but your shoes do get a bit heavy. I did a slow time for me of 12:30 which is 1:15 slower than my PB but not bad considering that this was only my second speed session since early November, due to tear in calf muscle. Lots of people still managed PB - well done guys. After the 3Km tt I met Aimee the wonderful Physio from the Gabba who helped me recover from my torn calf, she interrogated me to make sure that I had followed her instructions for the final part of the recovery process.

Tuseday PM ran home from work - very tiring did the 20.5 km is just over 1hr 50mins (not counting the time spent in Coles getting some Gatorade and Jelly Beans).


Wednesday Morning ran to work leaving house at 4:00am - the route that I take to work is about 19.7Km and I was tired when I got there - in just about 24hours I had done a 3km TT (+ warm up and down and had two sessions of about 20km each.

Wednesday evening had a meal with Josh (fellow participant in the MdS) and Cliff from Melbourne who is also a fellow participant in the MdS but also did last years event. Cliff was really great - a mine of information.

Thursday - Rest

Friday - Rest

Saturday - Getting ready for the Caboolture dusk till dawn (D2D) event. I have entered the 12 hour to see how long I can spend on my feet. The longest stage in the MdS is between 70 & 80 km so if I can keep going for that long I will be pleased. The longest I have run so far is a 50km training run in training for the Gold Coast Marathon last year.

Went to normal Saturday Pilates session at 8:15 to do the usual core strengthening routines. Tougher than it looks

Will post result etc from D2D tomorrow - if I can still walk.

No comments: